English Proof-reader/Editor (Roster Recruitment/Retainer Contract), Multiple positionsHosted EntitiesSUN Movement Secretariat
Department/officeECR, GVA, UN portfolio
Duty stationHome based
Contract typeLocal ICA Specialist
Contract levelLICA Specialist-10
DurationOne (1) year renewable - subject to satisfactory performance and budget availability
Application period20-Nov-2020 to 31-Dec-2020
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Expand all [+]
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOP...
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Launched in September 2010, the purpose of the Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Moveme...
Launched in September 2010, the purpose of the Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement is to catalyse collective action and create an enabling environment to end malnutrition in all its forms. With 62 SUN Countries and four Indian States at the helm, the SUN Movement represents an unprecedented country-led effort to bring together stakeholders – from governments, national and global civil society organisations, businesses, the UN system, researchers and scientists across different sectors- and provide them with a collaborative space to convene, mobilise, share, learn, advocate, align and coordinate actions and approaches to improve nutrition.
The SUN Movement Secretariat (SMS) is based in Geneva and is composed of a small team of 30 staff led by a Coordinator and managed by the Chief of Staff. The SMS facilitates and supports the efforts of SUN country governments in their work to scale up nutrition and reduce high rates of malnutrition everywhere, along with the Lead Group, the Executive Committee and four support SUN Networks (business, the United Nations, civil society and donors).
UNOPS Geneva office supports a wide array of programmes requiring routine develo...
UNOPS Geneva office supports a wide array of programmes requiring routine development and dissemination of communication materials in the English language. This position is home-based and part of a roster pool of professionals ready to be engaged on an ad hoc basis.
The incumbent will be home-based and report to the Communications and Advocacy Team (CAT) within the SMS. He/she will be responsible for providing his/her professional expertise and assistance to the Communication and Advocacy Team (CAT) in a rapid turn-around and supporting the editing and reviewing tasks of all English documents (source and target — for both internal and external communication materials, throughout the organisation) and, hence, support their quality and accessibility. For the English language, we need the incumbent to either provide editing on an English original source document or provide proof-reading on a Spanish or a French (original source) document that was translated into English (translated target text). Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Ensuring quality of communication materials:
- Proof-read wide variety of technical and specialised documents (target texts) translated from Spanish into English and from French into English by external translators (e.g. retainers and translation companies) and assess the quality and accuracy of their content, by suggesting improvements, reformulations or changes and by retranslating segments (produce a new self-revised translation) when required. If the proof-reader/editor deems it necessary (e.g. there is a gap between original source text and translated target text and sentence meaning is not conveyed properly) while performing revision of the text, he/she will retranslate accordingly, to maintain a high standard of accuracy, consistency, and faithfulness to the spirit, tone of voice, style, register and nuance of the original source text. For each request, provide the CAT with both a track-change review version and a clean finalised version (fully edited and proof-read).
- Edit technical and specialised English documents (original source texts) and provide CAT with fully clean and finalised versions.
- Ensure the quality of texts produced in English across the organisation, taking action regarding possible inconsistencies or errors and sharing their comments and suggested modifications with CAT and taking into account the targeted audience and the specified deadline.
- As a native linguist expert, collaborate with CAT and other actors (notably English native speakers within the SMS such as the Country Liaison Team or English translators in-house or within translation companies) to ensure accuracy and consistency of the materials translated, so as to meet the highest language standards.
- Ensure timeliness in undertaking rapid turnarounds for all aforementioned duties, particularly when there is some urgency to perform related requests.
- Undertake thorough linguistic and background research and verify terminology and references so as to use the most appropriate range of vocabulary and the commonly accepted or established terms in specialised databases and corpora, such as UNTERM, Termium, Linguee. If necessary, liaise with subject matter experts to ensure accurate use of technical terms.
- Keep abreast of institutional terminology usage (for the SMS, regular Quality Assurance feedback exchanges with CAT) and associated translations in order to ensure credibility, accessibility, consistency and high quality of materials.
Education: MA or BA required, with a degree in translation highly desirabl...
- MA or BA required, with a degree in translation highly desirable.
- At least 5 years of experience proof-reading/editing documents from Spanish into English and French into English is required with MA degree, Or 7 years of proof-reading/editing experience from Spanish into English and French into English required with a BA degree.
- Experience in the context of UN or another international organisation an asset.
- Strong MS Office/Google G-Suite skills required.
- Skills with Computer Assisted Terminology and use of specialised databases/corpora and other translation memory tools required.
- Native-level speaker of English required;
- Fluency in both Spanish and French required.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and ex...
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) - contract modality (whethe...
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) - contract modality (whether Local or International) is to be established based on the location of the candidate and the established salary scale within the country.
Contract level: ICS-10 (LICA-10 or IICA-2)
Contract duration: One (1) year renewable - subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time Applications ...
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful imp...
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with usUNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
DiversityWith over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonizationUNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.