DSM – Bright Science. Brighter Living.™Royal DSM is a global, purpose-led, science-based company active in Nutrition, Health and Sustainable Living. DSM’s purpose is to create brighter lives for all. DSM addresses with its products and solutions some of the world’s biggest challenges while simultaneously creating economic, environmental and societal value for all its stakeholders – customers, employees, shareholders, and society at large. DSM delivers innovative solutions for human nutrition, animal nutrition, personal care and aroma, medical devices, green products and applications, and new mobility and connectivity. DSM and its associated companies deliver annual net sales of about €10 billion with approximately 23,000 employees. The company was founded in 1902 and is listed on Euronext Amsterdam.
More information can be found at
DSM Nutritional Products Human Nutrition and Health (HNH) provides safe and sustainable solutions for food, beverage, dietary supplements, early life nutrition, medical nutrition and nutrition improvement markets.
We are recruiting for:
Director, Innovation, Applications and Formulations, HNH
Parsippany, NJThe Challenge:
The Formulations & Technical Support team provides direct support to external and internal customers in the selection of DSM products, custom formulations and related application needs while developing technical relationships with strategic DSM customers. This team serves as the primary non-commercial contact for customers and as the key technical resource to Marketing, Sales, Commercial Management, Premix and Nutritional Science & Advocacy teams.
The Applications team creates value by supporting customer product development needs with innovative ingredients and applications, providing technical resolution to challenging application issues, and translating consumer health needs into safe, reliable dietary supplements and food ingredients with scientific proven benefits.
The Innovation team interfaces with global R&D for future ingredient and solution development while acting on regional innovation opportunities.
In the role of Director, Innovation, Applications and Formulations, HNH, you will:
- Lead the Innovation, Applications and Formulations (IAF) NA Regional team for HNH. Team consists of Formulations & Technical Support Specialists, Application Specialists and NA Innovation Manager.
- Lead the implementation of technical product strategies (differentiation, new product launch) for HNH toward optimizing sales in line with DNP/DSM business objectives and targets.
- Support the HNH established products business by providing added value as a solution provider in order to strengthen the relationship within the assigned customer base and identifying opportunities for innovation.
- Oversee the engagement with customers on technical applications, analytical & regulatory issues, complaints and troubleshooting. Provides technical guidance and expertise to internal and external customers regarding the use and handling of DSM Human Nutrition Product's portfolio across industry segments including Dietary Supplements, Early Life Nutrition, Medical Nutrition, Pharma and Food & Beverage.
- Assist in the gathering of technical intelligence regarding novel ingredient and customer applications/delivery models.
- Be knowledgeable and stay current in the application processes and technologies used by our customers as well as innovation opportunities for new applications.
- Address increasing Regulatory demands and growing pressure from competitors
What we want to see in you:
- Master’s degree in a scientific discipline required; degree in pharmaceutical sciences, chemical engineering, food technology or engineering preferred; PhD preferred
- Minimum 10 years of experience managing technical labs or technical functions along with specific industry technical experience (pharmaceutical sciences, chemical engineering, food technology or engineering) required
- Expert knowledge of nutritional supplement and functional food formulation development, ingredients and the related regulatory landscape required
- Experience in technical support of dietary supplements a strong plus
- Practical experience in product development and commercialization of supplements formulations & applications or functional foods required
- Experience directly managing others required
- Demonstrated ability to integrate scientific knowledge to achieve business goals, ability to manage multiple projects and groups or individuals in an organized and productive manner and ability to make sound scientific interpretations/judgements
- Ability to work within global matrix and organization
- Strong communication, interpersonal and presentation skills. Need to demonstrate ability to lead teams, sell technical value to customers, influence internally to the broader organization and management and externally to the market and customers, and utilize resources to accomplish tasks. Proven excellent win/win negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of nutritional ingredients including vitamins, carotenoids, omega-3's (functions, commercially available forms and regulations) preferred
The RewardWorking for DSM means the opportunity to really contribute to improve people’s lives and solving the challenges of today’s world. Challenging jobs, career opportunities and an inspiring environment allow you to enhance your personal development. DSM recognizes that the on-going success of the company depends on the continued development and engagement of our employees and pursues a fair and competitive remuneration policy, recognizing individual and team competencies and performance.
Procedure & ContactInterested in this position? Please apply online via the career portal ()
Royal DSM is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.