Req ID: 177099 HBO Max is the future of entertainment and storytelling. WarnerMedia’s new streaming entertainment offering, HBO Max is the culmination of some of the most innovative new technology and greatest creative talent in the industry. Anchored by the entire HBO service, arguably the greatest brand in television, HBO Max also features fan favorites from the WarnerMedia library including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more. HBO Max will also be home to key third-party library acquisitions, such as Friends, South Park and Doctor Who, and more than 50 exclusive Originals in its first year, from the likes of groundbreaking creative talent such as J.J. Abrams, Ridley Scott, Jordan Peele, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Mann, Mindy Kaling, Reese Witherspoon, Anna Kendrick, Greg Berlanti, Melissa McCarthy, Robert Zemeckis, Ellen DeGeneres, and other visionaries. HBO Max launches in May 2020.
The Director of Content Advanced Analytics will lead the applied analytics area for Content Intelligence within HBO Max Data Intelligence & Operations. This team is dedicated to providing insight to our creative executives for our existing, future content libraries, competitive content analyses and analytical solutions that help HBO better understand and grow its best in class television and film library and continuously improve the engagement of its customers.
You will not only have a deep understanding of the application of analytics to complex business questions, but demonstrable experience using data science and analytics to influence key decision makers across the organization. You will lead and develop a team of data science and analytic professionals to provide content strategy and optimization insight and solutions to our content and programming teams. The analyses and data solutions this individual's team develop will have a wide impact across the business, from helping WarnerMedia audiences discover new content to finding new hit television shows and maximizing our content library efficiency.
You will work closely with data science and engineering teams to ensure that their analyses and insights are properly moved into a production environment, where they can be used by the wider WarnerMedia community to drive programming, content and product business strategies. In addition, you will interact Content, Programming, Strategy, Promotion, Technology and the Research departments to understand their analytical and data requirements to make content and programming related decisions and translate those into dashboards, analyses, insights and data science solutions to help our decision making. of these solutions.
- Lead a team of talented data and applied scientists in the design and execution of complex data and analytic projects that influence key business decisions in programming, marketing and product that surface critical insights on how, why, where and what drives customer engagement with our content to the greater WarnerMedia Entertainment organization.
- Participate in developing compelling data-driven stories aimed at informing strategic and tactical decision making of key business stakeholders.
- Foster a shared purpose among team members that enhances the capabilities of the team by building a collaborative learning environment.
- Understand the analytical requirements of the product, content, strategy and programming teams and translate those into dashboards, reports, insights and data science or applied analytical solutions.
- Ability to map data-based analysis to business value and work with our data science teams to "tell the story" on the results of our team's analyses, algorithms tied with any related research.
- Lead the development of analytical solutions that help HBO make smarter content decisions across development, scheduling, marketing, and digital platforms (including HBO Max, HBO NOW, HBO GO, .com, etc.).
- Develop and nurture your team to mine HBO and other third-party data to better understand how consumers make their entertainment choices, help define our data requirements both from our internal source data to external content metadata enrichment.
- Help define, understand and interpret the audience segments who relate to our and our competitors' content.
- Contribute to improving processes for data collection, processing, modeling and analysis.
- Develop and manage process to intake analytical requirements, delivery of reports and analyses and implement quality controls of deliverables.
- Train, mentor and supervise analysts on the team.
- Bachelor's degree, MS or greater in quantitative field of study (statistics, operations research etc.) from an accredited institution or extensive work experience.
- 7+ years of experience in executing and managing complex analytic projects.
- 7+ years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrable experience leading an analytic team with both data scientists and advanced analysts.
- Experience applying query, visualization, presentation and analytical tools in a professional environment.
- Experience with data science is a must.
- Strong background in data access and analytic tools (Looker, SQL, R, Tableau or Python).
- Robust experience working with A|B and multivariate testing and Relational and non-relational databases (S3, Snowflake, Oracle, TigerGraph).
- Ability to work with multiple and disparate data sets, sources, formats, etc.
- Inquisitive, conceptual thinker comfortable overseeing analytics on complex problems with a wide range of business applications.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate junior staff in a fast-paced ever-changing environment empowering them to do great things by developing a shared purpose and shared success.
- Must be capable of telling compelling data centric stories that inform key strategic and tactical decisions to varying internal and external stakeholders, of varying seniority.
- Capability to lead multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment in partnership with multiple business stakeholders.
- Experience overseeing the design and execution of complex analytic projects aimed at influencing key business strategies in content development, content scheduling, library optimization, customer engagement and product feature development.
- Proven technical abilities, but excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Proven success when partnering with engineering and business teams.
- Strong logical thinking ability and capability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with limited supervision.
- Experience in analytic consulting to c-level across multiple functional areas (product development, marketing, finance, customer support) preferred.
- Expertise in the digital media and entertainment industry. Media and content analysis are a big plus!
- Passion or strong interest in media content, television, movies.
- Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands