Manager, Engineering (Distribution Interconnection)
- Job ID: 71030392
- Job Family: Transmission / Distribution
- Location: Pomona, CA US
- Other Locations:
ENERGY FOR WHAT’S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About Transmission and Distribution
Southern California Edison’s (SCE's) Transmission and Distribution Organizational Unit (T&D) is responsible for planning, engineering, constructing, operating, and maintaining transmission and distribution facilities throughout the 50,000-square-mile territory. T&D is the steward of roughly $19 billion in assets that safely and reliably deliver electricity to 15 million residents via SCE’s 5 million customer accounts.
The Engineering Manager for the Distribution Generation Interconnection (DGI) team is responsible for leading and managing a team of engineers and supporting staff tasked with performing the technical analysis related to new Generation Interconnection requests, following the Generation Interconnection Procedures (GIP) at voltage levels less than 50 kV. This team of Engineers is responsible for coordinating modeling activities between the DGI team and the Integrated Capacity Analysis (ICA) team, supporting the development of the Grid Interconnection Process Tool, the Grid Needs Assessment and Distribution Deferral Opportunity Report (GNA/DDOR) related to Distributed Energy Resource integration, and the related regulatory activities with internal and external stakeholders.
The Engineering Manager will play a key role in leading this group of Engineers to work closely with various stakeholders internal and external to SCE, coordinate SCE internal efforts, represent the company in stakeholder processes (to include reform efforts for generation interconnections and advancement of renewable generation integration) and to serve as an expert witness at California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), as needed. The manager will be responsible for ensuring accuracy of the studies performed and for the publication of corresponding reports.
The Engineer Manager will report directly to the Senior Manager of the Distribution Generation Interconnection (DGI) team, within the Integrated System Analysis department under the Asset Management Strategy and Engineering (AMS&E) organization of T&D.
- Manage and serve as team lead of all technical analysis required, ensuring studies are performed satisfactorily and sound technical mitigation measures are recommended
- Manage and lead the development of mitigation plans needed for the integration of new distribution level generation resources in order to meet State mandated requirements
- Manage team efforts across the organization including inside and outside council and external entities
- Work in close collaboration with various internal departments within Integrated System Planning, Engineering, System Operations, Grid Interconnection and Contract Development, Major Project Organization, Regulatory Policy and Affairs, Public Affairs, Real Estate, Telecomm, Finance, and Law
- Lead team supporting efforts in the creation of the Grid Needs Assessment (GNA) and Distribution Deferral Opportunity Report (DDOR) to develop high level solutions for Distributed Energy Resources utilizing unit costs guides
- Assist Senior Management in the development and documentation of new processes, process improvements, and methodologies associated with new generation interconnections and all technical studies performed along with training, coaching, mentoring, and implementation
- Serve as a company expert witness advocating the Company’s position at the CPUC or FERC on issues dealing with distribution level generation interconnection activities
- Supervise and develop a team; evaluate employee performance; provide ongoing mentorship and feedback; makes hiring and performance decisions; and trains new employees.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering
- Five (5) or more years of experience performing within or supervising/leading an Engineering team or study function
- Five (5) or more years as an Engineer or Power System Planner in an electric utility
- Five or more years as an Engineer or Power System Planner in an electric utility with Transmission and/or Distribution electric system modeling or system planning focused experience
- Strong communication and writing skills with the ability to communicate complicated technical issues in a succinct manner.
- Proficiency with any of the following power system transmission or distribution analysis tools such as PowerWorld, PSLF, EMS, CYME, CAPE, and MDI or other similar software.
- Ability to interface effectively and collaborate with clients, peers, project personnel, and all levels of management enterprise-wide to develop solutions and ensure stakeholder buy-in.
- Experience leading by providing direction, coaching, feedback, and mentoring
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Proficiency with the following software tools: Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Demonstrate strong ethics, interpersonal skills, and the ability to effectively manage stress and engage in continuous learning.
- Experience integrating safety and work across the organization (ability to follow Edison safety protocols and safe work practices)
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- Position may require occasional local travel between throughout the SCE service territory
- Relocation does not apply to this position.
- This position has been identified as a NERC/CIP impacted position - Prior to being hired, the successful candidate must pass a Personnel Risk Assessment (PRA) or Background Investigation. Once hired, the candidate must complete specified training prior to gaining un-escorted access to assigned work location and performing necessary job duties
Southern California Edison, an Edison International (NYSE: EIX) company, serves a population of approximately 15 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. Join the utility leader that is safely delivering reliable, affordable electricity to our customers for over 125 years.
SCE is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
#LI-IT1 Pomona, CA US